The Ramat Gan National Park is found on Echad Ha’am Street, in southern Ramat Gan. Its official name is Avraham Krinitzi National Park, named for the first mayor of the city of Ramat Gan, who served in this capacity for 43 years. For many years his name was synonymous with the city. The park is the second-largest urban park in Israel (after the YarkonPark).
Planting began in 1951, after which its gates were opened to the public in 1953. The artificial lake was created in 1953 and was enlarged in 1959. The park has a fine-looking flower garden and attracts 700,000 to 800,000 visitors annually.
It is bounded in the north by the Yarkon River. On its western border lie the cities of Tel Aviv and Givatayim and to its east is Bnei Brak. Together with other cities, they form an urban conglomerate, where one city merges into the other for it’s more than 1.5 million inhabitants, and the area is known as Gush Dan.
the years 1914–1918. Ramat Gan was at first known as Ir Ganim (City of Gardens). In 1923 its name was
officially changed to Ramat Gan (meaning, Garden Heights).
In 1926, under the British Mandate it was officially recognized as a local council, even though it functioned
In the ’60s, a few important events made Ramat Gan into what it is famous for today. In 1961, both Tel
Hashomer Medical Center and Bar Ilan University were incorporated into the boundaries of Ramat Gan, and Israel’s Diamond Exchange was opened in the city in 1968. During the first Gulf War in 1991, Ramat Gan was hit by Scud rockets from Iraq several times.
Ramat Gan has 112 synagogues and two yeshivos.
Published in Hamodia